- Achieving goals has been found to enhance wellbeing over time. Pride is a positive emotion that you can experience when you accomplish something personally meaningful to you.
- Positive emotions are connected with a host of benefits (greater creativity, connection with others, openness to new opportunities, physical and mental wellbeing and so forth).
- If you pursue goals that match your personal values and interests you are more likely to attain those goals.
- Using your signature strengths can help you achieve your goals in a more fun and effective way.
- If you achieve intrinsic goals (relating to growth and connection, rather than money and status), you will experience greater gains in wellbeing.
- For the greatest chance of success, set yourself achievable goals – remember SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timebound).
- Human beings get used to things very quickly (hedonic adaptation), this means we have a tendency NOT to savour our achievements. For optimal wellbeing, they key is to notice, acknowledge and savour your success with others.
- This process, known as capitalization, involves sharing what went well with others and reliving the positive emotions of that achievement.
- What do you feel the most proud of?
- What makes your achievements special?
- Which character strengths did you need and which values motivated you to work hard and accomplish your goals?
- What does ‘achievement’ or ‘accomplishment’ mean for you? How would you define it in your life?