Small doses of stress support growth and enhance performance. Chronic stress however is dangerous. Little by little, a little becomes a lot, and when you stress, you don’t rest. Burnout is not an On/Off switch. It is a vicious cycle.
Its components are:
- Exhaustion (Emotional/Physical/Cognitive/Fatigue)
- Cynicism (Disengagement)
- Inefficacy (No Productivity / Incompetence)
- Will (Human Soul)
Burnout happens when you try to avoid being human for too long. Burnout is also a result of a mismatch between the nature of our work and our capacities as humans.
Some contributing factors are:
- The organizational environment
- Team culture
- Individual choices
Never attempt to endure Burnout – tackle it. Resilience is a competency that helps us recharge and replenish.
How to deal with Burnout: The 3 Rs
- Recognize (watch for the warning signs of burnout)
- Respond (undo the damage by seeking support and managing stress)
- Replenish (build your resilience to stress by taking care of your physical and emotional health)